Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Aimless travels; journeys from place to place

Wanderings. A good traveller is one who is in no hurry to reach any particular destination. Slow travel has the scent of a marketing construction however. Because the longer one takes to arrive, the more one spends. In terms of tourism, slow travel may be just another way to separate the foolish from their money. Still, the idea appeals. So why not do it where you live?

When I was new to Warsaw I could take any route to my destination and see something beautiful and previously unknown to me and the random walk was a game I enjoyed to multiply that newness.

Warsaw is still beautiful even now that I know what lies behind most corners and yet I still take the time to be in no hurry to reach any particular place.

When I catch myself in a hurry, it's an opportunity to remember that ultimately it is death that rushes to meet me. So what's the rush? The past and future only exist when we think about them. Only the present moment is real without our projections.

I've heard stories of people who suddenly relax when they get a terminal diagnosis, in these stories, the relief stems from the fact that the worst they could imagine has now happened. The shoe has dropped, so to speak. They feel unburdened of any necessity to pretend for others. They can live as they choose in the time remaining and no one will begrudge them and even if they do, it won't matter.

It's a sobering thought that some people need such a diagnosis to give themselves permission to live according to themselves.

The degree to which a nervous, unreliable, noncommital, anxiety and terror-prone person (who isn't, to some degree from time to time) could work towards countering these tendencies through wanderings.

Stop & Keep Going. A message so important I put it on a shirt because the state of mind in which I do things is more important than what I do, or where I go, or how I get there.

In my preferred state, I wander.


Gropius in 12 lines times 4 words

 Art Teaching Futile, Schools Fail Artists Must Engage Workshops Construction Over Mere Drawing Trade Learning Enhances Skills Bauhaus Progr...