Monday, August 05, 2019

I have just spent five hours throwing away stuff

Time I could have spent improving my skills, reading a book, shopping for groceries was spent throwing out stuff I should have thrown out years ago. Like every schmo I know with stuff, I don't notice the years it takes to accumulate it but I do notice the hours it takes to dissipate it.

I heard a good story from a relative about their neighbour. This neighbour was a cool dude with style and taste. He would sit in the evenings on his porch and play rare jazz records. Friends would drop by to share a bite to eat or with something to drink. He was a cordial and warm host.

When he died, his relative with power of attorney put his house on the market. There was a one day open house garage sale. Everything in the place for a buck or a quarter. Like locusts, strangers picked over his rare and precious curiosities. lifetimes of wonder and mystery collected in each object.

What didn't sell that day was bagged up and put to the curb. There was too much bagged and curbed.

I don't want my stuff to meet that fate. I'd rather hand my treasures down to individuals I know well who can choose to enjoy them for some time or pass them on or sell them or let them go or whatever they deem fit.

But the chain of custody will not be broken.

My relative bought his rocking chair. She wanted one thing to remember him by.

First you get the stuff, then the stuff gets some stuff, then the stuff gets you.




Gropius in 12 lines times 4 words

 Art Teaching Futile, Schools Fail Artists Must Engage Workshops Construction Over Mere Drawing Trade Learning Enhances Skills Bauhaus Progr...